Monday, April 16, 2007

Beware of Amma Nanna Deli

My first bad encounter with Amma Nanna's deli was about a year ago when I purchased feta cheese that turned out to be way past its expiration date and rancid. I avoided the deli for awhile but began using it again since the variety of meats seemed impressive. I figured 'hey, we can all make mistakes.' A few meat purchases later and I find myself with Mortadella that cost Rs 180 per hundred grams and which is, now that I open the plastic wrapping, also clearly rancid. So that's it for me and I advice everyone else to use caution: ask to see the orginial packaging and expiration dates.
Also, has anyone else noticed that the place smells like a dead animal? I attribute this to the large quantities of rancid meat stored there at insufficiently cold temperatures.
Note to Amma Nanna: We, your loyal ex-pat customers, deserve better. Update your refrigeration units or set them higher and pay heed to expiration dates or risk losing customers to Nuts and Spices (wonderful imported cheeses) and The Marriott (fabulous cold cuts which are never rancid).
I welcome any comments from members. You can email me at natalievh@gmx.net or post a comment by clicking on the 'comment' feature beneath this posting.
Natalie von Hoffmeister

1 comment:

Unknown said...

On one of my recent trips to Amma Naana, the "frozen food" in the freezer wasn't actually frozen. I opted to pass on it but thought it was worth mentioning with this opening.